CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, October 27, 2008

Scary Times

This is just a big self-pity whine. No need to read--I just needed to get this out.

WOW. Chrysler is cutting another 25% of their workforce. This is on top of all the cuts that have already been announced. Industry analysts say this means they are closer to a sale or merger, which will be another big blow to this area. Every week I read the depressing news of the auto industry and wonder what will be left of Metro Detroit when this is all said and done.

All these announcements are just plain scary to those of us in this industry. I mean, it's been bad for a long time. I can't even remember my last raise. My benefits have gone up in cost and down in coverage over the last five years. With the increase of everything -- food, gas, heating bills, etc. -- I've been working with a pay cut every year since 2003.

This year is particularly hard, and I don't know how we're going to make it through the winter. Heating costs are expecting to rise. Both kids needed new coats from growing, and I couldn't find any to fit them at Goodwill/Salvation Army. I bought them on sale, but it was still a HUGE blow to the budget. Add to that the hat/gloves and clothes Jacob needs. Not to mention snow pants, which I just can't afford to buy this year. If the Salvation Army doesn't have any to fit them, they won't be playing in the snow this year. I'm going to have to figure out how to buy boots for them -- not sure where that money will come from either -- but they go outside in the snow at school, so I have no choice.

Jacob knows times are very tough for us, and he keeps asking if Santa will still come. I'm starting to think he knows. I mean, why else would he think OUR financial hardship would cause Santa not to come?! I keep reassuring him that Santa will be here, yet I'm trying to figure out how in the world to get the kids things they actually want from Santa. I've been buying things all year (little things), but I always wait to buy the things from Santa until closer to Christmas--so that they can get SOMETHING on the list that they send Santa. Unless I can convince them to put things on the list that I've already bought (which would be hard because they know what they want), I'm worried they will be totally disappointed. And please don't leave me comments about kids not needing everything or that. They don't. I just want them to have SOMETHING that they love from Santa.

There. I said it. I put it on paper. We're broke. We can't afford winter, much less Christmas.

0 comments: