CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, August 8, 2008

SS Blog Challenge 26

Compliments of Christy....

Today, August 3, is National Sister's Day!

From the Holiday Insights website:

Sister's Day celebrates being or having a sister. That means a lot of us will celebrate this special day.

Sisters are truly special and unique. Sure, we may argue and fight. But, when it comes right down to it, sisters are the best, the very best.

To celebrate Sister's Day, your blog challenge is to tell us what this sisterhood here at S&S means to you. Some things to think about: What special experiences have you had here? What makes the "sisters" here special enough to come back to day after day? What would you celebrate about this community?


Wow. I don't even know where to start with this challenge. SS is a very special place to me. When I was first told about SS, I had never been on any kind of chat board, had never IM'd, nothing. I actually went to SS thinking I'd look at a few ideas and then not go back much. Unbeknownst to me, I would be there FREQUENTLY. LOL!

I found SS at a very difficult time in my life, and I have never been shy about saying that I don't know what I would have done without SS the last year and a half. And that just isn't a phrase that many people overuse--I truly don't know where I'd be today without SS. It didn't take me long to figure out that I found a network of wonderful women (with a few pretty great men), and I am so grateful for the support, the chats, the humor, the differing perspectives and everything else I get at SS every single day.

I think what makes the "sisters" (and brothers lol) at SS special is that we are all very different, we have our own problems, our own viewpoints, etc. Yet, for the most part, we can have good discussions and learn new things from each other. We can support each other in a way that I never knew was possible with "internet friends." I've never been a feminist, per say, but I truly believe that we could be a fierce group of ladies if we spent more time building each other up and supporting each other. It's such a neat thing to see.

I've made many friends at SS, and that's not something I do easily IRL. I even worked through my anxiety and went to a retreat this year. MAN, am I so glad I did!!! Being able to meet some of these ladies was just surreal. I am grateful for their friendship, and I appreciate the unconditional support they've given me.

2 comments:

Brynn said...

You summed it up so wonderfully! It's funny how much people don't understand about SS, (or anything else like it) until you are actually a part of it. I love that place & the friends it has brought into my life.

Traci said...

I know.. I remember how odd my husband thought it was that I wanted to meet people from the internet..

Now I can mention a ss sister's name and he recognizes who they are, lol. I still think he finds it strange that we can be shopping somewhere and I'll say "Oh!!! xxxx would love that!!! I wonder if she knows they're on sale!!!"