CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Shingles Update :(

Ron's shingles are looking nasty today. He has the blisters ALL over the outside of his eye, above his brow, on his nose, etc. He looks like Sloth from the Goonies, and the kids and the dogs are afraid of him.

Shingles on the face can cause painful blisters or lesions on the cornea. Corneal lesions usually heal by themselves, but antiviral treatment and/or topical steroid eyedrops may reduce the inflammation. The ophthalmologist said that she could see Ron's lesions, and she wants to follow them closely. He's got antiviral pills already, and he has an eye drop and a cream that I have to put in his eye. It's so painful for him because I have to pull his bottom eyelid out to squirt it in there, and that hurts him a lot. The ophthalmologist wants to see him back next week to check on it, and he'll have to be closely monitored for glaucoma from now on. I'm sure he'll keep up on that the same he does with his cholesterol and gout.

Anyways, he's still in a lot of pain. I hope that subsides soon. He's been sleeping a lot, which is good, but when he's awake, he has sensitivity to light and noise. It looks like he's getting MORE blisters, though, on the back of his head now. Everything is on the left side of his face/head, but we'll see in the next few days if those are more coming out. He's out of work until next Wed., but he'll know more after his appt with the ophthalmologist.

Thanks for all the prayers. I sincerely hope you never, ever get shingles...unless they are for your roof. :)

4 comments:

Rene said...

Brandi, I sure hope Ron gets better soon. Hugs to you and your family during this time.....

Amanda said...

You're being such a good nurse to DH! I hope he gets better soon... for the benefit of everyone!

Beth said...

Poor baby! I hope he feels better soon. This is why I hate that Chicken Pox vaccine... because it increases the chances of kids getting shingles because they don't get chicken pox as kids. Scary! Very, very scary!

Stacey said...

Ugh!! I feel so bad for him! I actually had a mild case of them in college. No fun! Hope he heals quickly!