CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, May 2, 2008

PSA: Debit Cards are Dangerous!!!

My checking account has always had a debit card attached to it. I never thought much of it, really, until a co-worker told me about a friend whose account was hacked into a few weeks back. Apparently, a group in China was randomly putting in credit card numbers for a charge of $1 into their machine. When one hit, they started charging money out until it was rejected, meaning all the money was gone. It freaked me out a little, but I didn't think of it too much.

Until Wendesday...when my debit card was rejected at the gas station. HUH???? I just got paid, so I know there is money in there. So, I called my bank when I got home that night, and they told me that the account was frozen and I needed to go to a branch. So yesterday I went to a branch - to find out that someone used my number to make several charges! AAAACKKKKK!!! Luckily for me, it was flagged within my bank, so they froze the acct before the creeps took everything. Unluckily for me, I had to sign affidavits to start the process to get my money back. It could be days, weeks or months, according to the guy at my bank.

What a pain. Makes me wish I didn't have a debit card. At least using a credit card, you have the guaranteed fraud protection and can get your money back almost immediately. AND, that money just comes off your balance...not directly out of your checking acct.

So, my PSA of the day is be careful having a debit card attached to your bank acct!!!!

1 comments:

Brynn said...

YIKES! brandi, I'm so sorry, what a major PITA!!!