CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Reality Check

For the last 15 months, I've really been feeling like I own the "Bad Mom Award." There have been so many times where I truly feel like the worst mom in the world. Heck, I told my 6 year old yesterday (when he was sassing about how mean I am) that I'm the President of the Mean Mom's club. Isn't that just awful?! I've continued to think how they deserve better and sometimes just sat and cried (sobbed, actually) about the horrible job I've been doing as their Mom.

So today, I talked with an old acquaintance from college...and I got a serious reality check. Someone we both knew was arrested last week and is being charged with neglect AND child abuse. WOW. Double WOW. Holy cow!!!! I don't know either of these women very well, and I actually know the woman arrested through the gal that called me tonight...so I don't have a large frame of reference for the woman arrested. But I'm floored. All this time I've been saying that my kids deserve better than me, this lady was starving her son (because she thinks he's fat) and beating both of her kids. :(

I guess my parenting isn't ALL bad. I mean my kids are always clothed, fed, cleaned and loved. I've never even seen this lady's kids, but my heart breaks for them. They are now in foster care because their only living relatives don't want them. Isn't that just the most awful thing ever????? Heart breaking. Thanks for the reality check...but I could've done without you abusing your kids.

2 comments:

Brynn said...

OMGosh, that just breaks my heart!

Oh, & just for the record, I do believe *I* am the President, NOT you, sorry 'bout that. I do know that I got double the votes you did (since I have double the kids). LOL

ease up on yourself, you're a great mom & you have great kids. Kids aren't supposed to like us, if they did, we wouldn't be doing our job.

Traci said...

Don't you just hate the "mean mom" feeling? Sometimes I wish that somebody else would step in and do all the disciplining for a change. (*hint hint dh*)

Don't forget to remind yourself that almost every little thing you do in life is done because you love them.

Tracilouwho from SS