CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Always choose your words

SS Blog Challenge 15
Life Lessons - When was the last time you had a life lesson -- one that made you feel "BETTER" about "YOU"? It doesn't have to be a life altering lesson; it can be something small, it can be something very minor, but it must be a life lesson. And it must be a GOOD life lesson. What was it?

My most recent life lesson came on Friday. I took the kids to a fundraising dinner at our church for a member that was diagnosed with cancer. While we were eating (more than half way done with our meal), a family of six came in and sat at the table next to ours. One of the children in the family was in a wheel chair, appeared to have a feeding tube and had some facial deformities.

When we were done eating, CJ had to go potty, so all three of us went to the bathroom. While we were in there, Jacob asked me what was wrong with the girl at the table next to us. Thinking we were alone, I took the opportunity to explain and answer questions. I told them that God makes everyone differently, and she has some challenges in her life. But I explained that just because she looks different than us, doesn't mean we should treat her any differently than we would want people to treat us. I told them that she eats different than we do and needs extra help. I also told them that God doesn't give us more than we can handle, and she has a loving family that helps take care of her.

So, we left the bathroom (after washing CJ's hands of course) and went about the rest of the evening. A little later, the kids were looking at the stuff on the bake sale table, and someone I've met several times from church came up to me and hugged me. I was a little stunned, as we've only spoken a few times, so we don't know each other all that well. Nancy sensed my reaction and stepped back to explain that her sister had just told her about a conversation she overheard in the bathroom. She told Nancy that the little girl was wearing flowered boots...and when Nancy saw CJ's shoes, she knew it was us from the bathroom.

Apparently, the little girl is Nancy's niece. She said her sister was so stunned at how I handled the questions from the kids, and she was so grateful for my kindness. Normally, they get stares and whispers even from adults, so she appreciated that I took the time to explain it to the kids. She said they don't expect special treatment from anyone, but they always wish for compassion.

Words are very powerful. We should always remember to choose them carefully because we never know who is listening.

2 comments:

gaye said...

You just made me cry. My niece is handicapped due to a car wreck, so I know exactly what that family goes through. What you did is soooo wonderful and compassionate and appreciated by so many people who go through this.

Thank you very, very much.

Brynn said...

WOW, you're a GREAT mom Brandi! Your story seriously made me cry. Thanks for sharing that with us. It's something we all need to remember.