CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, April 6, 2008

I was insulted today...

and I can't decide if I'm really upset by it or not.

I don't enjoy to read for leisure...I never have. I'm actually a very good reader and can get through anything that's needed for learning purposes. Text book? No problem. Trade journal? No problem. But a random book without a purpose? Nope. I can't do it.

I've tried being a leisure reader - especially since Jacob started to read. I want to be a good role model for him so that he can grow up enjoying to read for fun. But it's torture for me to read a book that isn't for a class or work, etc. So more often than not, the kids see me reading trade publications (which look like magazines and pamphlets) instead of books. Sometimes I read an actual book for work, but usually they are magazines.

So anyways, today at Jacob's soccer practice, another mom asked me if I had read some book. I said no. Then she asked about another one, and I said no. Then another...and I finally told her (politely, of course) that I don't enjoy reading for leisure, so the only books I typically read are for work or for a class. She gave me the biggest hair flip ever! Literally - a hair flip. Then she went on to lecture me about the importance of reading and how I need to make sure my kids enjoy to read. At one point in the conversation, she implied that I'm uneducated because I don't like to read. HMPH!

I basically told her to go to hell...but in a nice way. :) I told her that if my kids grow up exactly like me, I'd be perfectly happy. She looked at me stunned as if I thought reading wasn't important at all and was teaching my kids that. I told her that if I had to choose, I'd choose law-abiding citizens who work hard and take care of their responsibilities. I mean even *I* manage to do that...even though I don't read. LOL. What a wench. Who does she think she is to judge me, first of all? Secondly, to be so brazen to directly imply that I'm uneducated. Yeah...well then why are you wasting your breath on me, babe???????

So there you have it. A fellow soccer Mom thinks I'm dumb. I guess I better go scratch my butt and listen to my brain cells die off.

1 comments:

Brynn said...

Ok, I was totally with you in your feelings towards this "wench" UNTIL you got to the end, sorry, but I"m over here LMBO!

Yeah, she would have ticked me off too. Personally, I LOVE to read IF it's for leisure, if it's something I HAVE to read, forget it. LOL