CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Send him to camp...or not???

Jacob wants to go to church camp this summer, but I'm having some trouble with it. First of all, I have a hard time making a financial commitment NOW for something happening in June. Secondly, I am a little worried that he won't be able to handle it. You're supposed to have completed third grade to go, but the youth director invited him because he's so mature. Plus, the boy in third grade in his Sunday School class will only go if Jacob goes.

He will only know one boy there his age, and then the youth director from our church and a few older kids would be there the same week. It's FIVE NIGHTS. He says he can handle it, won't miss us or be too scared, won't want to come home early, etc.

Ron thinks I'm wavering about it because I don't want him to be away for that long. I'm sure there is part of my brain that thinks that, but I just don't know if he's ready for five nights away. That's a long time. He's done fine staying the night at friends' houses, but that just ONE night.

What do you think? Do you think a seven year old can handle that? (He'll turn 8 two weeks before they go.) I have to decide in the next week, and I'm really torn. I just don't know if he can do it or not.

3 comments:

Buckeye Benita said...

Let him go. Is the deposit refundable? I think it will be a good experience for him especially since the other boy he knows will be going.

Kim said...

I'm struggling with this same dilemma. But it's mostly just ME having trouble letting them be away from home for week. Mine are 8 and 9. Your son would probably have a blast! Just don't expect his teeth to be brushed when he gets home, lol!

Brynn said...

I'm no help, only my oldest has been gone that long, & that was this last summer when he was 12!

Good luck!