CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I Need a Money Tree

February is turning out to be a very expensive month for us. Dance sign ups were last week. Jacob has been begging us to attend church camp this summer (for a WEEK - my 7yo wants to leave us for a week!), and that money was due Sunday morning. Soccer sign ups are tonight. Baseball sign ups are next week. And my birthday is next month, so I had to mail my car and license registrations in. Those are all WAY more than my normal budget. Why do all these things have to hit at once???? Especially baseball. Why on earth do I have to register him for baseball NOW since it doesn't start until June?! I desperately need a money tree.

My kids are on winter break from school Thursday, Friday and Monday. Initially, we were going to go to Kentucky to visit Ron. But, Jacob already missed one week of basketball when he had strep throat, so Ron didn't want him to miss anymore. Besides that, we really can't afford the gas to drive down there and certainly can't afford to do anything, so there is no point in trying to go. Now we're staying home. Of course, both kids want to do SO many things. But the money just isn't there. I know they are blessed and will be FINE. But I hate having to say no to so many things because we just can't afford it. I want to give them so much...but I can't. Now I know how my parents felt when we were kids.

It's depressing, and I'm just wallowing in my own self pity. Please ignore me, but I just had to get this off my chest. Ron and I have jobs, we have health care, we have food and shelter -- so we're already doing better than so many others. I am grateful for all those things. I just wish we could go back to the times of 2006 -- before Ron lost his job, before we had two households and lived apart and before we had so much debt from trying to make this bi-state thing work. We were never "well off" but we paid our bills with ease. I mean, we lived check to check then, too...but I never had to worry about paying a single bill. I wish I could say that now.

But I do want to end this big ole fat whine on a positive note. I have healthy, happy children that are growing like weeds. I am proud of them, and I love them very much. I am doing the best I can for them, and I hope they can appreciate that as adults, as I appreciate what my parents did for us.

3 comments:

Brynn said...

Perfect post Brandi! I too feel the same about the $ tree. I have told my boys that yes, we may have to say no to some of the "fun" activities they want to do (movies, dinners out, bowling etc) BUT it's a sacrifice we all have to make if they choose to play the sports they play. It all works out in the end.

Even though this week, they may have to entertain themselves at home, in a month or two, they'll be enjoying all the "extra" activities you just signed them up for & all will be good.

Buckeye Benita said...

I totally understand how you feel. I just finished paying for recital costumes and now need to figure out when sign ups are for spring football or baseball. Hang in there.

Cali said...

Brandi, I can't begin to claim that I understand the tough time you are facing right now with your DH being gone and all. The kids will love the activities once they get to them.

Right now, something for you. I tagged you after Traci tagged me. Will you show us the 6th photo in your 6th album?